While pediatricians recommend breastfeeding until at least one year, only 77% of mothers breastfeed at birth and then only 25% make it to the 1 year mark. We understand that this is a hard decision faced by many new mothers who are new to this. Luckily here at Sweetie Pie Organics we've been around the block once or twice so we put together this list of breastfeeding facts.
- Nursing gives you a natural high by releasing Oxytocin.
- Breast milk has over 300 more ingredients than non-gmo baby formula.
- You can save $500 - $3000 a year by breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding acts as a 98% contraceptive.
- Nursing burns 300-500 calories a day.
- Children who were breast fed for 1 year perform better on intelligence tests at ages 3 and 7.
- Babies breast fed only 2 months are 4 times more likely to be obese than kids that were breast fed for an entire year.
- Breastfeeding can lower the risk of type II diabetes and breast and ovarian cancer for the mother.
- Human milk contains substances that promotes sleep and calms the baby.
- Breast Milk may protect the baby from certain illnesses such as ear infections, food sensitivities, and diarrhea.
- Breast fed babies typically have an easier transition to solid food and a less picky eaters.
- Breastfeeding reduces depression-causing inflammation in the mother’s body and helps prevent postpartum depression.
While there are some challenges many women have with breast feeding, most of them can be worked around given the right tools and help. Clearly breastfeeding is the best option for your and your baby's health, so it is important to plan ahead about breastfeeding. If you are going to return to work, you can start bottling and storing your breast milk to give to your baby later. For more information on storing breast milk see our article found here. If you are struggling to produce enough milk for your baby, check out this article with tips to increase your production and check out our all new organic lactation smoothie from Sweetie Pie Organics.